Just to be is a blessing. Just to live is holy. Joshua Abraham Heschel
This morning I woke to the sound of Canada geese flying overhead. As they flew over my house, the beautiful, strange symphony of their melancholy honking filled my heart, and I was blessed.
At that moment, I didn’t think about how the geese poop everywhere and waddle slowly across the road during rush hour traffic. I pictured them flying across the dawn sky in V-formation, calling encouragement to one another, and my heart was blessed by Canada geese.
I hope this morning your heart is blessed by everything, even the things that don’t normally bless you. I hope you go outside this morning and see Canada geese fly overhead and think, “How lovely.” I hope you look up at the morning sky and think, “What a beautiful masterpiece the sky is today. This beautiful sky is proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy.”
Today, I hope even the smallest, simplest thing feels like a rich blessing. The buttery warmth of the sun and the sweet caress of a cool breeze.
When you walk, I hope you are blessed by the strength and steadiness of your legs and feet beneath you. I hope you’re grateful for your capable hands, your dexterous fingers, the myriad things they know how to do.
I hope you thank God that you can see and hear and speak. I hope you are fascinated by the slant of autumn light and the sound of crickets chirruping in the grass.
Even a little thing like the clanking of silverware on the plates when people are eating–I hope that reminds you that you have plates, and silverware, and food to eat. When you eat, I hope the delicious flavors and aromas delight your senses and fill your belly with contentment.
Most of all, may the company you keep bring you joy and completeness. I hope you are blessed by the funny squeaking sound your spouse makes when they laugh. I hope the sound of voices talking sounds like music in your ears, no matter how banal or ordinary the conversation is.
I hope that today, just being alive is a blessing.
God gave you a gift of 84,600 seconds today. Have you used one of them to say thank you? William Arthur Ward
I wanted to share this wonderful recipe for French toast that blessed my family so much this weekend. I hope it blesses yours!
- 6 large free range eggs
- ½ almond milk or coconut milk beverage, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 slices of Ezekiel bread
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 packet of stevia
- For the French toast:
- Crack eggs into a large, shallow dish.
- Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well with a wire whip until all ingredients are combined.
- Soak slices of Ezekiel bread until thoroughly saturated, turning to coat.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Fry slices of French toast until egg is thoroughly cooked and toast is lightly browned, turning once.
- Remove to platter and keep warm.
- For the strawberry jam:
- Warm a saucepan over medium heat and add strawberries, lemon juice and stevia.
- Mash strawberries with a fork and stir until heated through.
- Serve warm with French toast.
What are you grateful for today? Please share in the comments.